What is Expanded polystyrene (EPS)?
Expanded polystyrene (EPS) is a rigid and tough, closed cell insulation. It is usually white and made of pre-expanded polystyrene beads. EPS is lightweight, strong and offers excellent thermal insulation, making it ideal for packaging and construction industries. EPS is durable and has an excellent process ability. EPS is also among the biggest commodity polymers produced in the world.
EPS in Construction
EPS is among the most popular materials for building and construction applications. Due to EPS predictable characteristics and price/performance ratio it is commonly specified by engineers, architects and spec writers. Expanded polystyrene is also an excellent design element and ideal choice for green building.
At EPS Depot Inc. we offer variety of products to meet both commercial and residential Eps needs. Get in touch with our foam experts and design team about your projects, we can solve many construction and design challenges and also add beauty to all residential, industrial and commercial projects.
EPS application in construction
• Perimeter, below grade insulation
• EIFS (Exterior Insulation and Finish System)
• Retaining walls
• Wall and slab insulation
• Highway, road and bridge construction
• Parking structures
• Pools, decks
• Airport runways
• Profile moldings
• Architectural shapes
• Retrofit siding
• Structural sandwich panels
Design CNC and Router Cutting Services
EPS Depot Inc. offers foam cutting tools that provide the best technology and innovation. We use the latest technology and equipment to get our products to suit customer`s needs. We understand that customization is important to you, which is why we work very closely with our customers to find best solutions to their needs.
At EPS Depot Inc. we have a variety of foam cutting systems. Our CNC (Computer Numeric Control) hot wire Foam Cutters are designed to cut any types of EPS, XPS foams. Our CNC router tables are designed for machining almost any type of foam.
Our design team will assist you in creating the perfect product for your needs. You may provide us with your own specifications and we will cut and ship to your desired location.
Expanded polystyrene (EPS) manufactured into large lightweight blocks. The blocks can vary in size and density. At EPS Depot blocks can be custom cut to your specifications. Tell us about your projects we can customize blocks to meet your specifications, dimensions and density.
• Road Construction
• Road Widening
• Bridge Abutment
• Bridge Under fill
• Culverts, Pipelines & Buried Structures
• Rail Embankment
• Retaining and Buried Wall Backfill
• Slope Stabilization
• Stadium & Theater Seating
• Airport Runway
• Foundations for Lightweight Structures
• Architectural shapes
• Profile moldings
Benefits of Expanded polystyrene (EPS) in constructions
• Environmental friendly
• Energy efficiency
• Constant thermal resistance
• Measurable energy savings
• Long-term R-Value
• No growth of bacteria
• Resistant to moisture
• Dimensional stability
• Light weight and portable
• Design flexibility
• Unlimited Design Potential
• High shock absorbency characteristics
• Decreased construction time
• Easily modified at the job site
• Excellent surface bonding
• Cost effective
• User friendly
• Easily recyclable
EPS and the environment
• EPS offers substantial environmental advantages.
• EPS is safe, it is non-toxic and totally inert. At any time of his life cycle does not contain any Chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs) or Hydrofluorocarbons (HCFCs). It is also absent of any nutritional value, so no fungi or micro-organisms, such as mold, can grow with EPS.
• EPS is recyclable. EPS can be recycled in many ways once it comes to the end of its life. These include recycling directly into new building products and incineration to recover its inherent energy content. The choice of a recycling method is based on technical, environmental and economic considerations.
• EPS presents no dangers to health in installation, during use and in the waste stage.
• EPS constructions fulfil nearly all fire and safety requirements.
• EPS insulation saves money by reducing energy bills.
• EPS, as an effective insulation material prevents energy loss and therefore helps to conserve fossil fuels, prevents carbon dioxide emissions which cause the greenhouse effect and global warming.
Recycling Expanded Polystyrene (EPS)
EPS is a 100% recyclable product. EPS can be recycled in many different ways such as thermal densification and compression. EPS insulation has a long lifetime in buildings and so there is only limited current need to recycle this material. However, since EPS does not degrade or deteriorate, it can be recycled in several ways at the end of its useful lifetime.
EPS can be added back into new EPS products. Technical developments in block mold production make it possible to apply higher recycled content levels and in some cases it is possible with specialized processes to produce EPS products out of 100% recycling.
There are a number of non-foam applications. Recycled EPS can be molded into new applications such as coat hangers, picture frames, flower pots, park benches or fence posts.
EPS waste can also be reground and mixed with concrete to produce building products such as prefabricated light weight concrete blocks. Adding EPS regrind also increases the thermal performance of these products.
EPS industry also developed collection infrastructures to support global recycling efforts.